Monday, December 14, 2009

Farvel Bella!

I am feeling that kind of pang of sadness you feel when something is coming to an end, that you don't want to end, but know is inevitable.


I am hanging out in the Bella Center - for no other reason than i know i won't be coming back again. I have no more sessions to attend. It's dark out. I've been here all day. I've already had two cups of strong coffee and my snacks are gone. i want to go home - but i don't want to leave...


I like the routine i have established - i like all that i have been able to see, learn, the people i have met, and the experiences i have had - and not that it is over (when one door closes and all that jazz...) - but this one part is. My routine of pastry shop, bus, Bella, security, coat check, coffee, plenary, side event...will be no more. It's not so much that i will miss the Bella Center itself (which is like any huge convention center anywhere) - but more so what it has represented - my ability to be a part of this historical and meaningful gathering- my ability to lend my voice in a way i would not have been able to, had i not been here. And i am so grateful and feel so lucky that i had the opportunity to be here. (I have decided that the COPs have not seen the last of me - i will be back for the next one and in a position to lend an even heavier, more vocal opinion. Watch out COP16!!)

We just received an e-mail that on thurs. they are only admitting 1,000 people representing NGOs and on Friday, only 90 people!! I feel bad for all of the side events planned for those days, as attendance will be sparse. But, given the communication we recieved late last week as well as the presence of so many heads of state, i can see why they are severly limiting attendance. Not to mention that the entourage that each official brings cuts out that many others from being able to attend. Over 110 officials with aids, security, etc. cuts a large chunk out of the 15,000 person capacity at Bella.

***

In the middle of writing this post, my internet totally cut out. Ok, Bella - i get the hint, i'll go. I may have a hard time letting go of things - but i also know how to bow out gracefully. :) So, now i am finishing my post at home, in my pj's, while watching a German program subtitled in Danish - hmm? I do have to say a warm house, no more heels and dresses and bare legs, a hot meal and my cozy bed is kind of lovely. Bella who? ah, love is so fleeting... :)

Anyway - before leaving Bella, I happened upon a briefing by the President of COP to civil society. She basically updated us on the status of the negotiations and took questions from the audience.

I really like her and i think she is a great President for this COP. In the times i have heard her speak, this evening being no exception, she seems adamant about ending this conference with something comprehensive and meaningful. She said that the events of today - with African nations walking out, was a normal thing for COPs. But - not in the sense that it was an unimportant event - but just that these are the obstacles that delegates go through in creating a treaty - it's part of the process and no matter how frustrated people seem now and how doubful we are that something comprehensive will result, in the end we always get something. (the hope of course is that the "something" we get is a comprehensive, binding, aggressive, and fair deal!).

She also emphasized her committment in creating a binding deal by Friday - because if not now, then when? In her words, there is no better time than now to create a treaty. Though the form of the treaty may take until next year to finalize, we need to come out of this conference with substance. There is no time like the present - Never will this many heads of state be together - never will there be so much momentum and pressure as there is now. And she is right. We need a deal now and there is no point in waiting - because at this point another year or two will not bring about a different situation and countries would not likely bring any different negotions or more ambitious cuts to the table a year from now. So, it's now or never.

what she did ask is that citizens keep up the momentum (even though we can't be in the Bella Center) and keep putting pressure on leaders and we need to show we believe in the ability of our world leaders to create a binding and aggressive deal. I found that statement to be an interesting twist and found myself wondering if i actually did have faith in the leaders of the world - and should i have faith? Should i change my attitude of skepticism? Maybe i should start saying "i believe" - i believe that the leaders of the world will do the right thing. I believe that the leaders of the world will negotiate and come out with an aggressive, fair and binding deal - aimed at reducing GHG emissions so as to avoid a more than 1-2 degree C rise in temperature and to find long-term funding to support the sustainable development of both developing and developed nations... and maybe if i say that enough times, i will begin to believe that i believe?

Being a stones throw from Sweden, I will quote a Swedish proverb that says, “Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

So, "I believe..."

No comments:

Post a Comment