Wednesday, December 9, 2009

see-saw

I was blushing with hope coming out of the opening ceremonies - only to see the realities past the pomp and circumstance in these last few days. I had no idea that nixing Kyoto was even on the table - or worse that negotiations were trying to remove all legally-binding language out of a new treaty. I have been on a see-saw of hope and dispair this entire conference - and i still don't know what to think - i have no idea what is going to happen. It's frustrating and i can only hope that radical negotiations are going on behind the doors that my little NGO pass will not allow me to access - and that come Friday, Dec. 18, world leaders will burst forth from said sealed doors holding high a treaty signed by 190 countries implementing legally-binding reductions in GHGs that will bring the total levels of CO2 to 350 ppm and curb the rise in temperature to less than 2 degrees...

no, i did not just doze off there. I am awake. let's just hope i am not dreaming...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reporting, Melissa. You are helping me stay engaged as I follow along on the see-saw. I look forward to your next postings. ~Nicky

    ReplyDelete